Sunday, January 8, 2012

Which image archiving option to use? part 2

In my last post I started reproducing a dialogue that began as a series of comments between myself and a reader but on an older post. The dilemma "Anonymous" raised, over which image archiving tool is the best, affects more than just the two of us and our respective organizations.

Any suggestions or comments you might have by all means jump into the conversation!

I have included the latest reply from Anonymous (January 6) as well as my response:

I've had some time to actually discuss a bigger picture of what's going to be needed with the department professionals and the list of needs has left me a bit concerned that we may need something made? Keep in mind this is a for-profit company. I'm not too certain about what product could achieve all of the following:
  1. -Intranet systems for internal information use
  2. -Simple template input portal for uploading, labeling, and tagging images.
  3. -Database look ups for linked images across multiple programs (ex: inDesign)
  4. -Simple search portal to narrow down images and permit more in the way of browsing capabilities.
  5. -Use of multiple search terms for searching directly.
  6. -A bulk file rename utility.
  7. -There is also a want for something like an OPAC for use within the company to find both images and books within the company library.
Again, I'm not sure if something like Asset Bank or Portfolio Server can come up to this level of complex organization, mixed with the simplicity of input and search needed at this particular location.

It is also important to note that I am a staff of one for this particular function, with limited programming history and a Mac OS to work around. 


Like you, I'm a staff of one with limited technical background and although I use both a PC and a Mac as benchmark machines to maintain the library, virtually everyone else with access to the library uses a Mac.

Looking over your bullet list above, I would have to say that, with a couple of possible exceptions, Bridge can pretty much accomplish all those tasks.
  1. We use it on a network
  2. Photo downloader is a handy little tool for importing and applying metadata templates to images straight from a camera or memory card
  3. While it's not a database, Bridge can certainly search across various file formats -- if I understand you correctly
  4. It's search features are pretty easy to use -- of course much depends upon the keywording and search strategies developed to access images in the library - I do agree that bridge has limitations here to be sure
  5. Bridge's search features are quite robust and allow for multiple metadata searching
  6. Bridge CS4 has a handy bulk renaming feature, which has been significantly enhanced in CS5
  7. I'm a bit unclear here on exactly what you have in mind here -- but again, if the "book" is in a file format that can be tagged and if the item has been tagged properly, Bridge should be able to find it.
Of course, I want to emphasize again that Bridge has some very serious limitations. And those limitations are most readily experienced in setting up and maintaining a large image library.

Having said that, the key deciding factor for our organization -- and from conversations I had with other readers here I sense we're not alone -- the key factor is cost. Bridge is free (or nearly so). And there's also the learning curve: many designers, for us the most likely users of an image library, have some familiarity with the software already.

OK, so any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Is it possible to use a Wikispaces account to accomplish this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Haven't done it before after a quick tour through the wikispaces site, I've got an account and will post the link later today or this evening to kick off the conversation -- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete