Friday, July 15, 2011

"Bridge encountered a problem. . . "

The moment we've all dreaded has arrived this morning. I turned on my computer, launched Bridge and straightaway saw this on my screen:


"Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct the situation."

Before taking any action, however, I wanted to review my cache size: (User>Library>Cache>Adobe>BridgeCS4). I soon discovered that it consumed 44 gigabytes of space and contained slightly more than 364,000 items.  Since the maximum number of items allowed is 500,000, that didn't seem too extreme. However, I did notice that there were more than 1200 cached folders in the 256 thumb folder but more than 1300 folders in the 1024 preview folder. (Even though the image library contains only a fraction of that number of folders, I use Bridge for moving files/folders around and prepping images for their eventual migration to the photo library.)

The difference between the two numbers seemed a bit odd since both folders should be the exact same size. I wonder if the cache crashed simply because of the number of folders of cached items.

Whatever the root cause, this event reminded me of the importance of tracking Bridge's cache size -- and it would probably be wise to occasionally run the Optimize Cache in Preferences as well:

Bridge>Preferences>Cache>Optimize Cache.

Have you experienced similar problems?

2 comments:

  1. Can't say that I've experienced this, so I'm not much help there. But just wanted to say thanks for documenting all that you have. Our group at the University of Minnesota is trying out Bridge as an image management tool, and having all these notes is valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting together a short workbook based on my experiences creating a large image library for JWU and hope to have something in print within the next month or so. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete