Friday, April 29, 2011

Confusion at Phase One about Expression Media 2?

I just posted this on Peter Krough's DAM forum:

I had a disturbing conversation with one of the sales people at Phase One yesterday regarding EM2.

Backstory: I had called earlier in the day and left a voicemail at their generic sales number in the US explaining that i was looking for updated information on the future of EM2. I explained I was the digital photo librarian for a large university in New England and that we had been using Bridge CS4 for nearly two years to archive and share our large image library (140k+ photos among 18 workstations) and I felt the time was running out on using Bridge. After researching catalog software -- and spending no little amount of time with the DAM Book and here on the various fora -- I had tested EM2 on my own image archive last year and found it a very impressive tool indeed.

Unfortunately, the person from Phase One who called me back left me with the distinct impression that there is uncertainty underlying the future of the software. I had heard from an acquaintance here on my team that he suspected they were going to integrate EM2 into their Capture One software system -- which does make some sense I grant you.

Anyway, the fellow who called me -- horrible connection so I never did get his name right -- I asked if any future upgrade was planned and if so would it be free to existing users. At first he said, "The upgrade was supposed to have already happened," but then he backpedaled right away and said it was going to happen soon, and then probably pretty soon. . .  I asked if it would be free to existing users and he said there would be a fee charged then right away he said it might be free but there would perhaps be some kind of charge. I asked about new features in the "upgrade" and he finally admitted that he didn't really know anything about the future of the product and very little about the product itself.

Finally, I inquired about notification for updates and he said "check back on the website from time-to-time."

Well, you get the picture.

None of this was very reassuring about the future of EM2 as a standalone and certainly not for multiple users.

No comments:

Post a Comment